22 June 2008

one of the best things about alaska.......

my backyard at 12-something or other last night/early this morningsolstice yardah, solstice. you gotta love it. no flash either (the flash actually made it look darker than it was - weird, huh).

sunrise: 3.00 amalmost solstice sunsetsunset: 00.43 am (the next day)

fairbanks has a solstice festival downtown, which is ok, but i have to say swedish midsommar celebrations knock it out of the park.

speaking of which, here's a cool shot (my sister took) from 2 years ago when we actually went to the midnight sun baseball game (and a ball got knocked out of the park and chuck ran and wrestled a fence for it, then had to wrestle a little kid to keep it, but we won't go there).2006 midnightsun gamethe sun just sat on the horizon and never really went below it.

cool, huh?

3 comments:

Carole Knits said...

It's very cool. Does it screw up your sleep, though?

TopHat said...

I was thinking about my Alaskan friends on the solstice. I hope I can be in Alaska one day for that!

roxie said...

Is it worth the long black winters?